Tweeter button
Facebook button
Linkedin button

Work Permits

Every year, more than 180,000 foreign workers enter Canada to work temporarily in jobs that help Canadian employers address skill shortages. A work permit is needed for most temporary jobs in Canada.

If you want to work in Canada, you must understand the following important information:

  • Your employer may need to get a labour market opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC). An LMO confirms that there is no Canadian or permanent resident available, and the employer can fill the job with a foreign worker.
  • Some jobs do not require an LMO. Find out if you need one.
  • You must meet the general requirements for entering the country, for staying in Canada and for getting a work permit. This means you may also need a temporary resident visa. Learn more about temporary resident visas.
  • A work permit is not an immigration document. It does not allow you to live in Canada permanently. To live in Canada permanently, you must qualify under an immigration category, such as a skilled worker. Learn more about immigrating to Canada.
  • Live–in caregivers who meet certain requirements can apply to stay in Canada permanently.
  • Your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children may apply to come to Canada with you.